Posts for tag: Dental Crown
Dental crowns are an excellent restoration for teeth that are weakened due to tooth decay or a humongous dental filling or broken from some kind of damage. A dental crown will fit right over a tooth’s remaining structure to make it stronger and give it the contour and shape of a real tooth. Here at Joseph and Nina Zeigler, DMDS, PC, in St. Louis, MO, our dentist, Drs. Joseph and Nina Zeigler utilize crowns to prolong the life of a weak or damaged tooth.
When Dental Crowns are Recommended
Dentists usually recommend crowns in the following situations:
- To replace discolored or old dental fillings.
- To strengthen a tooth that a huge dental filling has weakened.
- To fix a damaged tooth due to an injury.
- To safeguard a tooth that has undergone root canal therapy.
- To hold a denture or a dental bridge in place.
- To attach to dental implants, which are synthetic tooth roots that are placed in the jawbone for replacing missing teeth.
Materials Used for Creating Dental Crowns
Dental crowns can be crafted from various materials, with new and stronger materials being continually developed. Meanwhile, if your dentist recommends that you get a dental crown, below are common materials you can choose from:
- Porcelain and Precious Metal: This combination of materials is what most dental crowns today are crafted from. With this combination, porcelain will be applied in over the precious metal base, which can be made from palladium or gold.
- Precious Metals: These usually include palladium and gold, which are extremely hard-wearing and durable materials. They are commonly used for protecting teeth located in the back portion of the mouth so that they won’t be visible.
- Composite and Porcelain: This combination is usually used for teeth that have minor damage since they’re not as durable as the other materials mentioned above.
While you can select which material will be used for your crown, it will be ultimately up to your dentist in St. Louis, MO, to determine the best material specific to your case. Your dentist will make certain that your crown will match the shade of your other teeth as closely as possible so that it will look natural.
Need More Details on Dental Crowns? Call Us
Arrange your appointment with one of our dentists, Dr. Joseph or Dr. Nina Zeigler of Joseph and Nina Zeigler, DMDS, PC, here in St. Louis, MO, by dialing (314) 872-7590.