Laser Dentistry in Saint Louis
How dental lasers work
At Joseph & Nina Zeigler DMDs, dental lasers help us treat conditions in the mouth using light energy. The laser is very selective, penetrating to a specific depth in the particular kind of tissue we want to treat.
The tissue absorbs the laser light, which agitates the molecules of the tissue, causing the tissue cells to gently break apart. This very precisely treats only the desired area, while leaving healthy gums, bone, and tooth structure untouched.
Uses of dental lasers
There are different kinds of dental lasers, and we use them to treat different kinds of oral tissues. We can use lasers on soft tissues like gums, and on hard tissues, like teeth and bone.
We may use lasers on soft tissues to reshape healthy gum tissues or remove diseased gums, decontaminate gum pockets that are infected with periodontal disease, and treat some sores in the mouth.
We can also use lasers on hard tissues to remove tooth decay and prepare teeth for sealants, bonding, fillings, and other restorations, perform root canal therapy, reshape bone, and treat sensitive teeth.
The benefits of laser dentistry
There are many benefits of using lasers:
- They are much quieter than a dental drill, with no whining or vibration.
- They are very precise, so there is minimal impact on oral tissues.
- They're gentle and generally painless, so they often require little or no anesthesia.
- They can minimize bleeding and swelling, and speed the healing of gum tissues.
- They reduce the risk of infection by decontaminating the affected areas.
Dental lasers are a versatile tool for more comfortable and effective dental treatment.
If you have more questions about laser dentistry, call Joseph & Nina Zeigler, DMD, PC in Saint Louis, MO at 314-872-7590.