One of the best ways to cover up teeth that have undergone restorative procedures is using crowns. You dentists in Saint Louis, MO, Dr. Joseph Zeigler and Dr. Nina Zeigler, are more than happy to tell you more about crowns and their benefits.
More About Crowns
Crowns are cap-like porcelain dental restorations. Your Saint Louis dentist takes an impression of your teeth and sends them to a lab where custom crowns are made just for you. In the meantime though, you're given a temporary crown.
During restorative procedures, such as root canals, a significant amount of natural tooth is removed. This leaves the tooth susceptible to breakage, which is why a dental crown is placed over the tooth. The dental crown reinforces the tooth and allows it to withstand various degrees of pressure, meaning you can enjoy eating without the worry of ruining your tooth.
Here are some other procedures that use dental crowns:
- Attaching bridges
- Covering an existing filling that may be dislocated
- Covering stained or discolored teeth
- Covering dental implants
Taking Care of Your Crowns
- Dental hygiene is crucial. You need to brush twice a day, at least, and floss before bed. Make sure to give special attention to the area around your dental crown by holding your brush at a 40-degree angle to get hard-to-reach areas.
- Bruxism, when someone grinds their teeth, can reduce how long your crowns last as well. So make sure you find a solution for it with your dentist, like getting a mouth guard or splints.
- Diet contributes to crowns longevity. Crowns can last a long time, so be sure to avoid biting into ice, eating, or drinking, sugary foods and drinks, like soda and candy.
For more information on dental crowns and what they can do for you, contact Drs. Joseph and Nina Zeigler in Saint Louis, MO, as soon as possible, by calling (314) 872-7590.